Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Cold Cold Cold

I guess it has been awhile since I posted last on my blog. Things have been going pretty okay here in Misawa. Its cold. I don't like cold. There is lots of snow and I don't like snow. Its cold and it is wet and I wish it would just go away. Don't tell Joey I feel that way though. Everyday he gets very very excited if it is snowing outside and gets upset if the sun dares to peak behind a cloud and threaten to melt away his snow. Last week, on Friday, was my first time to actually have to clean off my car on my own. I have been lucky enough to not need to go anywhere, up to this point, before Brandon had a chance to clear it for me. I had a dentist appointment at 7:25 in the morning (which is way too early to go to the dentist in my opinion) and while Brandon did get up early with me to fix breakfast, he went right back to bed, not out to the car to clear the snow and ice that had grown overnight. And here I thought he loved me. Just kidding. I would have done the same thing. It is taking me awhile to get used to the medical care here in Misawa. I have been lucky in our 7 years of being in the military. For the most part, I have seen only civilian providers and over the past year, prior to coming to Japan, I had Doctor Murillo (the doctor my mother works for). Now that I am having to see only military providers, I realize how lucky I was. Here, too see the doctor for anything, you first have to call and do a phone consult with a nurse who then gives you the referral to the correct doctor (the primary care doctor, not the specialty care provider). It would be nice if the nurse could give you any advice or you could ask if the problem you are having is something you should hold off on coming in for or if you should come in right away. Nope...the nurse simply ask what the symptoms are and decides how urgent they are and then assigns you to a doctor. You then have to call the doctor's appointment line and ask for an appointment. Depending on how the nurse prioritized your case, you may be seen that very afternoon or as far out as 30 days. If you were wanting an appointment to get your child the flu shot, you first have to call the nurse, then go to the doctor who gives you the referral to call and make an appointment to walk across the hall and get the flu shot. Its a big hassle. Oh how I miss civilian care!
Joey is doing pretty good. He is going to a play group on Monday and Friday now and enjoying playing with the other kids. He also recently got a student desk and enjoys being a big boy sitting at his desk to do his work. We were recently told that my parents will be visiting us sometime this summer. Joey didn't quite understand and wakes up every morning thinking today is the day they will arrive. Poor little boy!
My mother recently got her first computer (her very own laptop) and it has been fun talking with her by instant messenger. I think we still need to work on the responding to emails you receive thing but she is getting the hang of it. Joey very much liked seeing her on the web cam and I think she enjoyed seeing how much he has grown.
Brandon is doing pretty okay. He registered for classes today I think with the University of Maryland University College. He is taking a business management class and a writing class. Fun Fun! He hurt his hand a few weeks ago playing "wallieball" (urgh how do you spell that) which is volleyball played half court with the wall. With his hurt hand he hasn't been able to go to the climbing wall.
That is about all that is going on here. We sure miss you all bunches!

No comments: