When we first moved in, the washer and dryer that we had simply did not work. They brought us a new washer and dryer the day after we moved in. The worker warned us that the washer makes a "small" noise and then packed up and left. The first time I used it, everything was going just fine until a loud screetch noise sounding like metal rubbing against metal made us all jump when the spin cycle ended. This was no small noise. We called the housing office again and asked if someone could be sent to look at it. The workers came the following day. One problem with housing here is the management and workers are all local. They speak little of my language and I speak none of theirs. I was able to get them to understand by turning on the washer (empty) and motioning for them to wait for the spin cycle to end. They both jumped when the noise happened. Another problem here on base right now is the local workers are doing weekly strikes because the government of Japan is trying to reduce their pay by 10%. So, for 4 hours of their shift, once a week, the are on strike. The day they came, was the day it was all starting. The workers asked if they could please come back today and "fix" the washer. Not a problem at all. This morning they knock on the door and when I answer I find 3 workers with a brand new washer, still in the box. Neat! It turns out it is a Whirlpool Cabrio Automatic Washer with 6th Sense Technology. Not sure what all that means but it sure looks neat. After about an hour, they had the old washer out and the new washer in. The worker then opened the door above the washer, where I keep my washing powder, pointed and said "No use." I didn't understand what he meant. He kept pointing to the washer and then the powder and saying "no use". I thought maybe he meant I could not use powder but only liquid in the washer. No problem. I have a bottle of liquid in the closet. So I pulled it out and pointed to it and asked "Okay?". He shook his head at me and the three of them began talking fast and not in english. One of the men went diving into the box and pulled out the instructions, pointed to it then the liquid detergent in my hand and said "no use" and then they all packed up and left with me standing there completly lost. It turns out the new washer is a HE washer and using normal soap will cause lots of foam and could cause damage to the unit. My problem is just last night I opened a new, big box of Tide powder and I have this half used bottle of liquid detergent that I can't use now! Oh well. This afternoon, Joey and I both have doctor appointments so after I will try and go by the store and get the right kind of laundry soap. I think I might drop the soap I have now off with one of the guys Brandon works with. Not too sure I want to drive in the snow today but I guess I am going to have to at some point and I am not sure how Joey's tractor will work in the snow.
Monday, November 19, 2007
Washer From Space
When we first moved in, the washer and dryer that we had simply did not work. They brought us a new washer and dryer the day after we moved in. The worker warned us that the washer makes a "small" noise and then packed up and left. The first time I used it, everything was going just fine until a loud screetch noise sounding like metal rubbing against metal made us all jump when the spin cycle ended. This was no small noise. We called the housing office again and asked if someone could be sent to look at it. The workers came the following day. One problem with housing here is the management and workers are all local. They speak little of my language and I speak none of theirs. I was able to get them to understand by turning on the washer (empty) and motioning for them to wait for the spin cycle to end. They both jumped when the noise happened. Another problem here on base right now is the local workers are doing weekly strikes because the government of Japan is trying to reduce their pay by 10%. So, for 4 hours of their shift, once a week, the are on strike. The day they came, was the day it was all starting. The workers asked if they could please come back today and "fix" the washer. Not a problem at all. This morning they knock on the door and when I answer I find 3 workers with a brand new washer, still in the box. Neat! It turns out it is a Whirlpool Cabrio Automatic Washer with 6th Sense Technology. Not sure what all that means but it sure looks neat. After about an hour, they had the old washer out and the new washer in. The worker then opened the door above the washer, where I keep my washing powder, pointed and said "No use." I didn't understand what he meant. He kept pointing to the washer and then the powder and saying "no use". I thought maybe he meant I could not use powder but only liquid in the washer. No problem. I have a bottle of liquid in the closet. So I pulled it out and pointed to it and asked "Okay?". He shook his head at me and the three of them began talking fast and not in english. One of the men went diving into the box and pulled out the instructions, pointed to it then the liquid detergent in my hand and said "no use" and then they all packed up and left with me standing there completly lost. It turns out the new washer is a HE washer and using normal soap will cause lots of foam and could cause damage to the unit. My problem is just last night I opened a new, big box of Tide powder and I have this half used bottle of liquid detergent that I can't use now! Oh well. This afternoon, Joey and I both have doctor appointments so after I will try and go by the store and get the right kind of laundry soap. I think I might drop the soap I have now off with one of the guys Brandon works with. Not too sure I want to drive in the snow today but I guess I am going to have to at some point and I am not sure how Joey's tractor will work in the snow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are going to have to train me on this blogging thing. I have checked Gary's a time or two but never left a comment. The washer sounds great. Is it a front loader? David and Leah have that kind.
Post a Comment