Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Shake Rattle and Roll

So we have moved to Japan and get to experience new fun and exciting things we never experienced while we lived in the states. Then there are the not so "fun" and "exciting" things like earthquakes. We have had a handful of them since we have been here. Nothing too major. For each of the ones in the past I have been inside my little apartment, safe and sound. Our building's foundation is on rollers so when we have an earthquake we roll more than we shake.
Well, today we were out in town when one hit. I needed to run to the 100 Yen store and we were in the kitchen section when everything started to shake. It seemed like it lasted forever. Several glass items fell off the shelves and an entire shelving unit fell over. I quickly scooped up Joey and moved to a center isle. Stores here in Japan pack things inside as tight as they can. With everything shaking and things falling over, Joey got really upset. He started to fuss a bit and wouldn't stop clinging to me. Just as it was winding down, a display of ceramic piggy banks next to us crashed to the ground. Joey really lost it then. He was screaming he wanted to go back to Texas and he wanted his Moe. One of the sweet workers quickly came over to us and tried to help me calm him down while trying to get me to not move so we didn't get hurt with the broken glass and ceramics around us. We ended up with several of the workers sweeping up around us and these two sweet old ladies (one was a store worker) trying to cheer Joey up. I think this was the first time ever I have been to the 100 Yen store and been the only American in there at the time. It was a bit scary. After we were able to leave the store and I got Joey in the van I had fun trying to explain what the shifting of tectonic plates is. Not too sure I got it all right but I tried. We had to take a few detours on the way back to the base. One of the bars on the main street just out of the base had the entire front awning and sign fall to the side walk and another building was surrounded by fire trucks.
Now we are back safe in our building. Joey is still a bit upset but I let him hide in our bed and watch the Smurfs on my I-Pod so I think he is going to be okay.
Fun Fun Fun!

Oh, according to the USGS, the earthquake was a 5.8 magnitude and was 103km or 64ish miles away.

1 comment:

momray said...

We had a few quakes when we were in Utah, but nothing too bad. They are fun in a waterbed.
Tell Joey that I almost have my cow bank full.
I actually made an entry in my blog today.