Thursday, December 20, 2007

Remembering

Tonight, Brandon and I were trying to organize our DVD collection. We have several movies where we have multiple copies from where people have given them to us or movies Brandon bought, that we already had, while he was in Bahrain. We are BIG movie bugs. Our date nights usually consist of waiting for Joey to get into bed and then popping in a movie. We are also working on updating our movie index. Its kind of silly but it helps us keep things organized. We don't keep our movies in the original case but in several binder type things. We have index cards with the movie title and description on one size and the cover art from the DVD case on the front. We label them with what binder they are in so they stay together by category. Any who....it was fun to go over the movies and remember the ones I watched growing up and being shocked that Brandon had not heard of some of them.

Movies like: The American Rabbit...My Stepmother Is An Alien...The Cat From Outer Space...Flight Of The Navigator...The Last Star Fighter...Cloak and Dagger...Bed knobs and Broomsticks...Fivel Goes West...That Darn Cat...and so many others.

They made me think about how much fun and how much imagination we have when we are little and watch these movies. I can remember going into my room and turning the knob on the end of my day bed, fully expecting it to take me to this magical world. I am enjoying seeing Joey do the same now. I love that he enjoys watching these movies with me. Like the Cat From Outer Space and That Darn Cat. I have no clue when they were made. I'm thinking the late 60's and early 70's maybe. He picks them over some of the new things like Dora or Firehouse Dog even! I remember sitting with my mom and watching these and now I get to do it with my little guy.

I remember going to my grandparents house almost every weekend as a little kid on Saturday night to spend the night. They would pop in the VHS tape of Cinderella (but not the cartoon one) and my PawPaw would pop pop corn. JuneBug (my grandmother) would drowned me in the No More Tangles spray and spend at least half, if not all of the movie, brushing out my hair. When she would roll my hair, instead of using rollers, she would cut strips out of old pantyhose and use those. My mom would use socks. The pink foam rollers just aren't the same but I can't seem to get Brandon to not laugh at me if I come out of the room with my hair rolled in CLEAN socks.

Growing up, I only remember going to the movie theater twice. I am sure there were several other times but these two are the ones that I remember. My mom took me to go and see the My Little Ponies movie at the Tomball theater. She bought me the dinosaur eggs candy and let me pick where we sat. I marched right down to the very first row and was so proud of myself. My mom didn't complain or try and talk me into moving back a bit. She sat next to me and giggled and shared our eggs. The other movie I remember is when my Uncle Bob took his daughter and me to go see Beauty and the Beast. It was such a magical movie. Talking tea pots and dancing wardrobes. I loved that.

While Brandon was in Bahrain and I was in Tomball, we were able to take advantage of the movie theater. They offered free tickets for military families. When they had a kid movie, Joey and I would go. Sometimes I sat there, feeling the dead brain cells dripping out my ear, hoping the movie ended soon. Sometimes I sat there trying to figure out what the heck all the kids were laughing at. But a lot of the time I was watching not the screen but watching my little boy truly enjoy the movie.

So...I look forward to our movies being organized again and being able to introduce Brandon to some of these movies that I love. He has a little list going himself of movies he just can't understand how I have gone 26 almost 27 years without seeing. The Hobbit? Hmm, we shall see. I didn't very much enjoy the Lord of the Rings but maybe it is different.

2 comments:

Dick Metcalf said...

I couldn’t resist committing on this blog. I think the reason you have so many duplicates is because you spent months making copies for us while you were staying with us and then took them with you.
Anyway, we miss you guys and will be thinking of you especially over the next few days. We need to get the time difference straight so we can talk to y’all on the 24th our time, when we go up to see dad. I think we are planning on being there between about 3:00 and 6:00 pm and then going to June Bugs house. Be sure and take a lot of pictures and we will do the same.

Kara Hazen said...

No More Tangles - oh the memories! :)